Confession: I only learned that my family has a food processor a few days ago.
I know! Imagine all the pie crusts I’ve toiled over when I could’ve just quickly whipped them up in the food processor. Anyway, today I used it to make a brand new recipe for me.
I can’t think of a more iconic duo than peanut butter and banana. Add chocolate to that, and wow! The three flavors complement each other so nicely. Today, I wanted to try something quick and easy, but also delicious. This is definitely your recipe if that’s what you’re searching for. And it’s vegan!
Who knew ice cream could be vegan? I certainly didn’t, but I discovered a whole new world today. Instead of cream, milk, and sugar, I can use frozen bananas. Incredible. Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 2 sliced and frozen bananas
- 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao nibs
- Pinch sea salt
- Drizzle of agave (or maple syrup), optional
1. Place frozen banana slices in a food processor and run the machine until it resembles a crumb like consistency.
2. Add peanut butter, cacao nibs, sea salt and agave, and whiz a little longer until you get a soft-serve ice cream consistency.
And that’s it! How simple, yet how tasty! I hope you enjoy!
As you have probably noticed, I’m not a vegan. In fact, none of the recipes I have posted on this blog until today have been “vegan friendly”. A friend of mine, who used to be a vegan, recently checked out my blog and recommended this recipe and I knew I had to try them out. Whether you’re a vegan or not, I would recommend these brownies for their wonderfully fluffy texture, and they’re not at all dry.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar (I used two, but my friend says 1 cup works too for a healthier adaptation!)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil (the recipe also says you may substitute this for unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
I won’t lie and say I couldn’t taste a difference between these brownies and non-vegan brownies, but I would still definitely make them again! Let me know if you try them out and what you think!