As you have probably noticed, I’m not a vegan. In fact, none of the recipes I have posted on this blog until today have been “vegan friendly”. A friend of mine, who used to be a vegan, recently checked out my blog and recommended this recipe and I knew I had to try them out. Whether you’re a vegan or not, I would recommend these brownies for their wonderfully fluffy texture, and they’re not at all dry.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar (I used two, but my friend says 1 cup works too for a healthier adaptation!)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil (the recipe also says you may substitute this for unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
I won’t lie and say I couldn’t taste a difference between these brownies and non-vegan brownies, but I would still definitely make them again! Let me know if you try them out and what you think!